CBIC via notification No. 31/2019 dated on 28th June 2019 introduced form PMT-09 to save the registered taxpayers from blockage of business fund that occur during the period of refund application of excess balance in the electronic cash ledger in FORM RFD-01 due to wrongly or erroneously paid ITC under wrong head.
For this Government made changes in the amendment in Finance (No. 2) Act, 2019 (23 of 2019) by inserting sub section 10 and 11 to Section 49 of The CGST Act, 2017 on 30th Aug, 2019 which is applicable w.e.f. 01st Jan, 2020 in accordance with Rule 87 of The CGST Rules, 2017. However this was made live on portal i.e https://www.gst.gov.in/ on 21-04-2020.
What is Form PMT-09?
Form PMT-09 (i.e. a challan) is used to transfer any amount of tax, interest, penalty, etc. that is available in the electronic cash ledger, to the appropriate tax or cess head under IGST, CGST and SGST in the electronic cash ledger. This enables taxpayer to transfer amount from one minor head/ major head to another minor head/major head and such transfer shall deemed to be a refund from the electronic cash ledger under this Act.
Major heads in Electronic cash ledger refers to: – Integrated tax, Central tax, State/UT tax, and Cess.
Minor heads in Electronic cash ledgers refers to: – Tax, Interest, Penalty, Fee and Others.
Example: What can be rectified by PMT-09
- If a taxpayer has wrongly paid CGST instead of SGST, he can now rectify the same using Form PMT-09 by reallocating the amount from the CGST head to the SGST head.(Major to Major )
- If a taxpayer has wrongly paid CGST/SGST under the head of Interest or penalty or Vice versa (Major to Minor)
- If a taxpayer has wrongly paid Interest amount under the head of penalty or Vice versa (Minor to Minor)
Important points about PMT-09 are mentioned as below:-
- This Challan is not useful if the wrong tax paid has been utilized for making any payment. This Form only allows transfer of the amounts that are available in the electronic cash ledger at the time of filing of PMT-09.
- The amount once utilized and removed from cash ledger cannot be reallocated.
Procedure for filing of PMT-09:-
- Login to GST Portal.
- Click Services > Ledgers > Electronic Cash Ledger> File GST PMT-09 For Transfer of Amount.
- After filling the required details in add record table save the changes and check the updated balance through preview of cash ledger.
- Then File the Form PMT-09.
The revised balance would be updated in cash ledger after filing of Form PMT-09.